Monday, November 2, 2009

Rain and its uses in literature

I’m sick of the rain in Memphis. Every day I have class for the last three weeks, it has rained. It is getting quite old. It’s interesting to see how rain is used in literature, poetry, and song to portray a certain mood or thought to the reader. For instance, a gloomy dismal setting is sometimes characterized by rain in a good piece of literature. In many songs rain is used to appeal to the reader, or to a common theme. As a musician, when I write songs, many times rain finds its way into the lyrics. I’m not sure why, maybe it’s because it exemplifies conflict in my life. Whatever the reason, it’s always interesting to see how something so simple as rain, is used in countless ways to portray many different feelings, thoughts, and settings. I find It extremely interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big John Cusack fan, and in almost every movie that he's in, there's a scene of him standing in the rain. It really is a "tool" of the writer to communicate a particular mood, which is frequently despair or loss. Interesting.

    That sounds like a great idea for a paper sometime down the road for you - a study of rain in literature. I like it.

    ReplyDelete