Monday, November 30, 2009

Music & Writing

Music is a major part of my life. So is written word. From the time I could read, I’ve always enjoyed immersing myself in books and stories. This love of reading is what I attribute a great deal of my vocabulary and English skills to. Reading has also affected how I play and listen to music. I greatly enjoy writing songs, and song writing has some of the same elements as writing in general. As with an story, one is trying to communicate some idea, or feeling. Even when the mode is a melody, the same is still true. In every song, regardless of lyrics, the music itself communicates it’s own ideas and feelings. This is one of the most powerful aspects of music. There are many songs that can create an environment, without any words at all. I think music and writing go hand in hand, and I am grateful for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment