Monday, November 16, 2009

Point of View - Worn Path.

Worn Path Reflection

I thought the “Worn Path” was a pretty good short story. I think it was very well detailed in the story. It allowed me very well to create in my mind the vision of Phoenix on her trek. The point of view from the text was third person omniscient and it allowed the reader to create his own image based on the description. The movie was third person in it’s point of view, but to me it somewhat limited how I viewed the story. I feel like I could embrace the story better if I didn’t have to movie, but just the text. When I read the text, I could easily in vision her and what she was doing, and the possibilities were boundless. But the movie left me limited by what was on the screen. In other words, in the movie, the screen was the point of view, the lens through which we saw Phoenix. We knew nothing beyond it. The text however, allowed us to think beyond the words and to give framework and structure to what was given. I think this is the defining difference between text and visual story telling.

No comments:

Post a Comment