Monday, December 7, 2009

Why Literature?

Why literature?

My name is Aaron King. I am 20 years of age and am a student at University of Memphis. This is my sophomore year of college and I am undecided in major. I graduated from Faith Heritage Christian Academy high school. My family is from Memphis and I was born here and have lived here since. My mother and father both work and live in Memphis, and my sister is a freshman in high school. I consider music one of my greatest passions in life. I’ve played guitar since I was 13 and the piano for 6 months. I’ve been playing with friends for the last 5 years in various places, but mostly for churches. Reading is also a hobby I greatly enjoy. I’ve read many books over the summer such as; “Miracles” by C.S.Lewis, “Blue Like Jazz” by Donald Miller, and others. I’ve worked with my dad doing carpentry work for the last 6 years. It’s not steady work, but it’s a good opportunity to learn a useful skill. I spend a great deal of time at The Vue at poplar plaza, hanging out with friends and working to serve our college community.

I was drawn to take a lit course because I’ve loved reading for so long. I don’t know anyone in the field and haven’t taken a course in this field before, but I am interested to see what new facts and concepts this semester will reveal. I am not exactly sure what my career plans are post college. I love music and I may pursue that, or use that talent in the church, as I have for most of high school and college. Wherever I am, I hope that God will use me to proclaim the gospel.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, we have a lot in common! My father used to be a carpenter and is also a guitarist. I have always loved the smell of sawdust and the sound of a calloused hand sliding across a fretboard. I hope that you've gotten something out of this class, in the end, and that you'll continue to grow your interest in literature!

    ReplyDelete